Wednesday, August 25, 2010

You Don't Know Jack

Title:You Don't Know Jack
Author:Erin McCarthy
Genre:Contemporary Romance
Pages:272
Copyright:2006
Main Characters:Jamie Peters; Jonathan "Jack" Davidson
Supporting Characters: Jamie's Friends, Caroline, Mandy, Allison; Jack's Grandfather, 'Pops'


I bought this book from, what I consider the best store in the history of stores, Half-Price books quite a while ago. I've always enjoyed Ms. McCarthy's books and was excited to read "You Don't Know Jack", especially since I had previously read "The Pregnancy Test" which introduced us to Jamie and her group of friends/roomies.  When I finally pulled it off my bookshelf to read I couldn't help but love what the previous owner had written on the first page...thankfully in pencil. She wrote, and I quote "Well written story all though I could have done with a much shorter sex scene!! It was 36 pages long!!! A good story though, I liked the cute twist at the end." I laughed then dove right in.

Jamie Peters loves a good psychic and the story starts several months before when her cross dressing, ex drug addict friend tells her how she'll meet the man who touches her soul. The first several chapters revolve around meeting that guy. Jack is a retired millionaire just barely over 30 (can we say, I wish!!), but when he meets Jamie he pretends otherwise. Knowing she's not a born New Yorker but a Kentucky girl living her dream in the city, Jack decides she doesn't need to know quite yet. When new age hippie Jamie, finds out Jack's a big fat lying scumbag (not really!! You just can't seem to be mad at this guy) she decides they're better off just friends. Too bad Jack won't let that happen, and while Jamie is off trying to save the world...one ex-criminal at a time...Jack is trying to prove to Jamie that maybe she's the one who needs saving.

My book fairy was right. It is a super cute story, and while the numerous..*cough*..you know..scenes are super steamy, I didn't find them over bearing. The different players we meet throughout made me smile and wish Ms. McCarthy would decide to write a story for Allison and maybe a followup for Caroline as well. It's just about the right length for a quick read and although it doesn't have too much depth, I think it had just enough. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment